Skip to content

// Help & Support

Are there utilities costs I need to think about?


1. Are you utility charges covered in my fess?

For the main, yes. The cost of utilities for the communal areas of your development is covered within the yearly service charge. We have a dedicated procurement team who work hard to obtain competitive prices and negotiate cost savings for insurance cover, utility providers and maintenance contracts through our bulk purchasing power.

2. What about the electricity in my property?

Your building developer arranges for the services to be connected to the building. You are responsible for paying the electricity bill for your own property. When you buy your home, you will need to ask the electricity company to connect the supply once the purchase is completed.

3. What if my property has fresh water pumps or a station?

Some developments and building may have a communal fresh water pump or even a pump station.

If you have a pump station at your property, the likelihood is that the development is not connected directly to the main sewer system. Therefore, the waste from the property flows to a storage chamber fitted with submersible pumps which discharge automatically to the main sewer system. When liquid waste enters the Local or Water Authority sewer systems, it may typically pass through many more pumping stations handling progressively bigger flows before reaching the treatment works.

The fact that your development has its own private pumping station, should not be viewed as an unusual situation, perhaps just something which you’ve not known about or had any responsibility for in the past. Sewage pump systems are designed to handle foul water, natural human waste, and biodegradable products.

Other household waste and non-biodegradable products should never be disposed of through the drainage system regardless of whether your property has its own pump system or not. If you would like any help or advice on living with a pump station please get in touch with your Customer Services team by dropping as a line in the contact us form.

4. What if I have a landline telephone installed?

A telephone point is usually provided in each property. You will normally apply for your own connection when you move in.

5. Do I need a TV licence?

There should be a television in your developments communal lounge, but:

  • Each flat has a socket connected to a communal aerial to connect a television.
  • You will need to have your own TV licence.
  • A licence concession may apply, depending on your age and circumstances.

6. Do I need to budget for hot water and heating costs?

The heating costs of the communal parts of the development are covered by the service charge. However, such costs within your own property are not included in this charge and you will need to cover this yourself.

7. What if there is a laundry on my site?

The communal laundry provides washing machines and dryers for your use. A fair usage policy with a roster may sometimes operate to make sure everyone has the opportunity to use the facilities.

The cost of running the laundry, including any machine servicing and repairs, is paid for by the service charge.

Woman on laptop in bedroom

24/7 access to your resident’s account