Skip to content

// Help & Support

Our service charges: explained.

Common charges

1. What is the service charge?

Your service charge is the money you pay towards the day-to-day running costs of your development. Every resident pays a service charge and the money is used to cover items such as buildings insurance, maintenance, repairs, gardening, and communal facilities.

The service charge also covers the costs of any onsite staff, where applicable. In independent retirement living developments, this would normally be your Development Manager.

2. When is the service charge paid?

This depends on your Deed of Conditions. You may be required to pay your service charge once a year, twice a year (usually every six months) or occasionally in monthly installments. If you aren’t sure when you should pay your service charge then:

  • If you live in an independent retirement living development please get in touch with your Development Manager for details
  • If you live or own a property in a general residential development, please get in touch with our Customer Services team in Glasgow.

3. What is the service charge based on?

The Service charge is based on an estimate or budget we prepare each year of all the running costs relating to the communal areas of your development. These could include a number of elements. Some of the most common are:

  • Landscape maintenance – such as cutting the grass, maintaining communal gardens, watering and sweeping
  • Lighting, heating, and cleaning of communal internal areas
  • Window cleaning – specific to each development, but would include all external windows as well as internal windows in communal areas
  • Lift maintenance and fire equipment maintenance
  • Other electrical and mechanical equipment maintenance – specific to each development, but this could include items such as water pumps, electrically powered entry or security gates, communal heating boilers, etc
  • General repairs and residential property maintenance
  • Salaries of any onsite staff that are employed specifically to work for the development, where applicable.
  • Buildings insurance – in the case of apartments, full buildings insurance is required under the terms of the Deeds of Conditions to cover the risks relevant to the development. Standard insurance risks might include fire, explosion, lightning, aircraft, terrorism, storm or flood, sprinkler leakage, subsidence or landslide
  • Bank Charges and Audit fees.
Woman on laptop in bedroom

24/7 access to your resident’s account